Few important points to be noted for the applicability of New GST return:
- There are three types of Returns.
a) GST Normal i.e. “GST RET – 1” which is monthly or quarterly.
b) GST Sahaj i.e. “GST RET – 2” which is quarterly and
c) GST Sugam i.e. “GST RET – 3” which is quarterly.
- In case the aggregate turnover exceeds INR 5 crore in the preceding fiscal year than the taxpayer is bound to file monthly return.
- While in case the aggregate turnover does not exceed the INR 5 crore then there is an option for him to file returns whether monthly or quarterly.
- If you opt for quarterly option, then you will have a choice to choose for Normal, Sahaj or Sugam as per the nature of transactions.
- Sahaj can be opted only if you have outward supplies under B2C category and inward supplies including supplies attracting reverse charge only.
- Sugam can be opted only if you have outward supplies under B2B & B2C categories and inward supplies including supplies attracting reverse charge only.
- If you have Exports, Imports, Supplies to SEZ units and deemed exports then you cannot opt for Sahaj or Sugam. You have to opt for Normal.
Here is the summarized table for the applicability of old and new GST returns
|Tax Period||Old Mechanism||New Mechanism|
|Form GSTR-3B||Form GSTR – 1||Form GST RET-01 (New Return)||Form GST ANX-1 (Annexure of outward supply)||Form GST PMT -08 (Payment of self assessment tax)|
For large taxpayers (Turnover more than 5 Crore in Previous FY)
For small taxpayers (Turnover upto 5 Crore in Previous FY)
|Oct 2019||No||No||For Quarter Oct – Dec 2019 in Jan 2020||For Quarter Oct – Dec 2019 in Jan 2020||Yes|
|2020 onwards||No||No||Yes (Quarterly)||Yes (Quarterly)||Yes (Monthly)|